Tian Yuan's visit to Rice University†
Address of Tian at Houston†
7315 Brompton St, Apt 342, Houston, TX 77025
Internship at Kono lab [Last update by Tian March 7th]†
- March 10th, Short analysis of three papers sent by Andrey.
- Guo, G. Y., et al. Physical Review B 69.20 (2004): 205416. In this paper, an ab-initio calculation of optical, electronic and structural properties of CNT was done by using VASP package. One of the results is that: the second-order susceptibility: χ^(2)_xyz and χ^(2)_yzx of small diameter chiral carbon nanotubes have large absolute value, compared with GaAs. Paper suggest chiral CNT with small diameter are good candidates for SHG.
- Su, Hui Min, et al. Physical Review B 77.12 (2008): 125428. In this paper, SWCNT samples was prepared, ratio of mix, zigzag(5,0):armchair(3,3):chiral(4,2)=5:4:1. The samples are aligned and SHG signals was detected. The signal power was well fitted to a quadruple function, proving the signal to be the result of a second order nonlinear process.
- Huttunen, M. J., et al. New Journal of Physics 15.8 (2013): 083043. In this paper, individual (42,1) SWCNTs was separated and was hold between slits on a Si3N4 membrane. The sample was then observed through SHG imaging and TEM imaging. Stong signals was observed in SHG imaging. Huttuen et al. proceeds to conduct SHG imaging on CNT samples with random chirality, most of the chiral samples exhibit strong SHG signals.
- Some Questions: How does SHG imaging function? SHG signal of specific chirality seems to require specific incident light energy and polarization angle.
- March 9th,
- Read the paper on SHG and magneto-plasmon. Question: Is this edge magnetoplasmon in the paper same as magnetoplasmon mention by Kono-sensei, which seems appear on nanotube?
- The answer is No. When B is parallel to nanotube axis, since Lorentz force acts in the direction perpendicular to cylindrical plane. Thus there is no change in the equation of motion for an electron on the CNT surface. On the other hand, the electron feels so called Ahalonov Bohm (AB) phase, which modifies the energy separation E_ij. This phenomena can be observed by alligned CNT with a huge magnetic field (100T).
- Additional Questions: Does this means no cylindrical magnetoplasmon on CNT? Kono-sensei specifically mentioned a possible (11,10) intersubband mangneto-plasmon, which he connect it with intersubband plasmon in a light cavity. Would a magnetic field perpendicular to CNT in a cavity generate magneto-palsmon? We will have discussion with Andrey and Kono-sensei to confirm about this.
- March 7th,
- Calculated detailed results and angle dependent results on absorption spectra of (11, 10) Graphene, will send to Kono-sensei and all later today(after printed it).
- Reading papers on the SHG.
- March 5th,
- Project starts on the SHG, Andrey send in paper and results for me to read. I am learning what they are doing. If possible I want to have a discussion on this matter with Nguyen-san and Saito-sensei.
- Let us discuss on Tuesday 6:30pm, read the paper and explain us.
- March 4th,
- Discussed with Kono-sensei, Andrey and Manu, i can pick following researches.
- Second/higher order harmonic generation of molecule-inserted (6,5) SWCNT, enantinomer enriched. The data is enough that I can write a paper once I understand the story, IF im desparate to write a paper. Second harmonic generation molecule-inserted (6,5) SWCNTs.
- What is your contribution on this paper? Nguyen-san can calculate second harmonic generation (SHG). What is the molecule?
- "You will write the paper"-Said Andrey. I don't recall them metioning specific molecules. I will ask Andrey and Kono-sensei.
- (11,10) intersubband plasmon, intersubband magneto-plasmon and ISB plasmon polarton in a cavity.
- Did you explain your calculation?
- They know that we have calculation results but I didnt find the chance to explain my calculation, I have the data for detailed result and I will print it before Monday and send it to them with the explainations.
- CD in aligned (11,-5) film
- We have the calculated data of (6,5) and (11,-5), Do they doped CNTs?
- They didn't metioned it. I faintly recall them talking that if there is already paper published on CD of undopted CNTs they will try the doped ones.
- Detection of spin current via terahetz excitation. The terahetz device haven't been used for very long time and it can take half a year jsut to set up the devices.
- If you can start to set up, it won't take too much time. It should be a good practice for you. But you need any supervisor to set up since the set up is very expensive one. Ask Kono sensei.
- Andrey stongly discourage me to do this research as he believe it will produce no results in this half year, then I told them I have a layout(from Mizukami-sensei). They asked me for the deatiled information. I will send the paper and presentation to them.
- March 3rd,
- Procedures to get the ID card, Join the Kono workgroup on Slack, prepare for the discussion tomorrow afternoon.
- March 2nd,
- Morning, visiting banks try to open bank account and obtain money.
- In the afternoon visit Rice U and the physcis building, meet with Kono-sensei and Xu-san,procedures to get the ID card.
- Tian arrived at March 1st, 4 pm and spend the rest of the day battling paying the apartment
Internship at Mizukami lab†
- The experiment with Iihama-sensei on 2/8:
- By using the kretschmann configuration, we try to use measure the spin current generated by the surface plasmon on a gold --> continue the experiment on Wednesday.
- Fourth day's discussion with Iihama-sensei:
- Second measurement of Py-Pt layer
- Explain an calculate the Inverse Faraday effect with Iihama-sensei have problem.
- Third day's discussion with Iihama-sensei:
- By using the magneto Kerr effect, we are measuring the spin injection of a Py-Pt layer
- Explaining what is surface plasmon and the ways to excite surface plasmon
- Second day's discussion with Iihama-sensei:
- Introduction of the experiment layout,
- The detection of Spin Current by Inverse Kerr Effect.
- Experiment starts tomorrow.
- First day's discussion with Iihama-sensei:
- Methods to excite edge plasmon,
- Inverse Faraday Effect,
- Interaction of circularly polarized light with material: spin transfer torque and field induced torque?
UA6, departing Narita 5:10 pm Mar 1st 2022, arriving IA.Houston 2:00 pm Mar 1st 2022†
UA7, departing IA.Houston 11:10 am Aug 30st 2022, arriving Narita 2:20 pm Aug 31st 2022†
Real Estate company in Japan†
Name プランドホーム Telephone number 022-211-9321, contact person†
Apartment in Rice†
- Applying for Ventana at Midtown, waiting for reply.
- Address 4001 Fannin St, Houston, TX 77004. Waiting for reply on Saturday
Apply for key of AIMR†
Video watch and test taken, Waiting reply from AIMR.†
- Mail sent to AIMR-Safty, waiting for reply.
Download Paper on Ilhama-sensei's work and make report before 1.28†
Phone number of Iihama-sensei to stay in contact: 022-217-6003 for Mizukami lab.†
[Done] 2022.1.24 Report on the zoom meeting†
[Done] 2022.1.24 1:30pm Zoom meeting for discussion†
2021.1.31 2pm at North gate†
2022.1.31-2.12 Lab visit and experiment†
Junichiro Kono' Lab at Rice University, Texas, USA†
This page is for Tian-san to visit Rice University from March 1st to Aug. 30th, 2022.
In order to check each step correctly, we will report here all information.
OwlId is R-C2708984. NetID is yt51.†
OwlId is R-C2708984. NetID is yt51.†
What Tian-san should do (from new to the past)†
Updated by Tian on Jan. 26th 20:03†
- Flight to Houston: UA6, departing Narita 5:10 pm Mar 1st 2022, arriving IA.Houston 2:00 pm Mar 1st 2022
- Flight back Tokyo: UA7, departing IA.Houston 11:10 am Aug 30st 2022, arriving Narita 2:20 pm Aug 31st 2022
- Test the portable WIFI.
- [Done] Register the eduroam, (Registered, test connection on 2022/1/28).
- Health insurance https://oiss.rice.edu/scholarhealthinsurance and apartment in Texas.
- Email sent to OISS Rice university, Three possible outcomes: 1. Fudaikaigaku is viable 2. By purchasing more insurance plans from JEES, a combined insurance plan is viable 3. Find cheaper plans in US.
- Futai Kaigaku not possible, Apply for cheaper plan in US: ISI Protect. Wait for confirm from Rice Univ.
- Find the apartment in Texas and report.
- No room at Rice graduate school or Rice village apartment, Mail sent third real estate company, Waiting for reply.
- [DONE at 1/26]Enroll insurance for 7month (58,760JPY)(Tian will submit the information to the insurance company.)
- Kaigaku need joining the Kakenhi, Tian will pay the Kakenhi and submit the document on 24th Jan.
- Kakenhi was paid on 24th Jan. Document of Kaigaku submitted, the paycheck will arrive on 1.26. Pay at the post office after that.
- [DONE]Report the flight information to JTB and Takahasi-san (Done on 2022.1.21 By Saito-sensei)
- Flight was decided: 1st Mar. UA6 and 30th Aug UA7. Saito-sensei paid the ticket.
- Set bank transer for the payment of apartment (not yet)
- Bank auto transfer will be set on 27th Jan.
- Stop gas and water during the visit. but Do not stop electricity (not yet.)
- Covid certificate when Tian goes to Narita (informed by Takahasi)
- [Done] Using the document, get visa of USA (done on 2021.12.28 by Y. T. $200)
- [Done] Ask a document of visit to Rice University (done on 2021.11 by R. Saito, $300)
- Contact to Prof. Kono (done on 2021.11 by R. Saito) Done